of Births, Deaths and Marriages
Every death must be registered - this page includes contact details for local Register Offices and the details you will need when you go to register.
ALWAYS RING AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
Three important points
- Every death must be registered but it is not imperative to do it before making funeral arrangements.
- The death must normally be registered within five days.
- The death must be registered by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages for the area in which the death occurred.
You can, however, supply the relevant details at any Registry Office in England or Wales and these will be forwarded to the appropriate area. This may delay obtaining death certificates.
Those who may register are:
- A relative of the deceased.
- A person present at death.
- A person arranging the funeral (this does not mean the Funeral Director).
- In certain circumstances others, such as the Administrators of Residential Care Homes may register the death.
The information about the deceased required by the Registrar is :-
- Date of death
- Date of birth
- Place of birth (town and county)
- Occupation or occupation prior to retirement
- Usual address
- If married at the time of death, the date of birth of spouse
- NHS number (take Medical Card if available)
- If the deceased was in receipt of a pension or allowance from public funds, then details will be required
Also in the case of a married woman :-
- Husband’s forename(s)
- Husband’s surname
- Current occupation or occupation prior to retirement
- Maiden name
When the death has been registered you will receive the following certificates:
- A green form known as the “Certificate For Burial Or Cremation”. You should give this to the Funeral Director.
- In cases where the Coroner is involved and cremation is intended or an inquest is to be held, this certificate will not be issued. Instead a “Certificate For Cremation” will be issued by the Coroner, and will usually be passed directly to the Funeral Director.
- A white Social Security certificate will be given on all occasions and should be sent to your local DSS office along with any relevant pension books.
- A buff coloured copy of the entry of death form (known as a “Copy Death Certificate”). These may be obtained from the registrar upon payment of a nominal fee and are required as proof of the death for insurance purposes, probate, bank accounts etc. Additional copies of this certificate can always be obtained at a later date.
Registrar’s Contact Details
Many Register Offices only open part time - ALWAYS RING FOR AN APPOINTMENT
North Yorkshire County Council Information
Individual details of North Yorkshire County Council Registrars are listed below you will find full information including and online booking service for the offices at Scarborough, Whitby, Malton, Northallerton, Harrogate, Selby, Skipton and Richmond at the NYCC Registering A Death website page.
69, Burniston Road, Scarborough, YO12 6PH (Tel: 01609 - 780780)
Google map for YO12 6PH in a new window.
Farndale House, Church Square, Whitby, YO21 3EG (Tel: 01609 - 780780)
Google map for YO12 3EG in a new window.
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road, Malton, YO17 0HH (Tel: 01609 - 780780)
Google map for YO17 0HH in a new window.
Note: This map isn’t detailed enough to be of any use.
Town Hall, Quay Road, Bridlington, YO16 4LP (Tel: 01262 - 422662)
Google map for YO16 4LP in a new window.
56 Bootham, York, YO30 7DA (Tel: 01904 - 654477)
Google map for YO30 7DA in a new window.
Municipal Buildings, 181 George Street, Hull, HU1 3BY (Tel: 01482 - 615400)
Google map for HU1 3BY in a new window.
Council Offices, Market Green, Cottingham, HU16 5QG (Tel: 01482 - 393565/6)
Google map for HU16 5QG in a new window.
Walkergate House, Walkergate, Beverley, HU17 9BP (Tel: 01482 - 393600)
Google map for HU17 9BP in a new window.
51 Manorfield Rd, Driffield, YO25 5JE (Tel: 01377 - 254051)
Google map for YO25 5JE in a new window.
Corporation Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 2QH (Tel: 01642 - 729004)
Google map for TS1 2QH in a new window.
County Hall, Northallerton, DL7 8XE (Tel: 01609 - 780780 )
Google map for DL7 8XE in a new window.
88 Westgate, Guisborough, TS14 6AP (Tel: 01287 - 632564)
Google map for TS14 6AP in a new window.
Bilton House, 31 Park Parade, Harrogate, HG1 5AG (Tel: 0845 - 034 9480)
Google map for HG1 5AG in a new window.
There are several offices in Leeds where a death may be registered, all are detailed in the Council’s website.
Link to Leeds City Council website in a new window.
Graham, Christine or George will be pleased to assist you with
any queries you may have about funerals.
You can contact them on 01723 - 501027 (24 hours)
G. Roberts Independent Family Funeral Directors is an independent, family run business serving
Scarborough and all surrounding areas